Thursday, June 30, 2011

I am so glad I live in America

I have several friends who are lesbians...they have been feeling hopeful after the law passed in New York...they can get married.  I have never completely understood the whole "homosexual marriage weakens my marriage"  camp.  Yes, I know that I am not married...but I cannot figure out how letting people be legally committed to one another is negative.  It is actually a positive....stronger relationships...stronger families...stronger communities....at least in my opinion.  I have observed firsthand how difficult it can be for someone outside of the norm...I have a friend in Indiana who has yet to "come out" to her parents....she has been in the same relationship for 6 years and is very happy....her mom keeps telling her that she needs to "be married by forty"...I have heard of hate crimes that are awful....and that some are afraid to go to the police...but I think that we as a country do not agree that this is the right way...it is just a few morons who are scared of their own weaknesses and pitiful manhood.   A case in point is my cousin...his family (my aunt and uncle) have completely disowned him...refuse to see him...why?  He is gay.


In South Africa, while it is completely legal to marry someone of the same gender... it is becoming a cultural norm for men to "correctively rape"  lesbians....that somehow by being brutalized they will actually realize they LIKE men?  that raping them will fix it?  really...it just may be that the men there are not blessed with a brain of any sort...or at least one that understands logic!  The police do not help...and further victimize....


Seriously...this is insane...I am so grateful that I live in America...where we have a voice and can speak out!  Check out the story:


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13908662




http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eudy_Simelane




http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/world/africa/corrective+rape+in+south+africa+/3027797.html

.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment