Sunday, July 17, 2011

Is there really an end to gender?

I really hope there is not an end to gender.  I really like being a girl!   Yeah there are times when I wish I were a man because something would be easier...but in the end...I can carry life--they can't do that....  my uterus makes me much, much cooler...  :) [sorry people with penises!]


So apparently it is a big deal that this Canadian couple is not telling the gender of thier child...and a mom paints her kids toenails pink...I read the NPR article that points to a neutralization of gender.  I agree with talking about humankind instead of mankind because words (as I have said before) are very powerful...in exclusion and inclusion.  I don't get offended when it is not used...I mean...we have been talking like this for hundreds of years...gonna be hard to change....but a slow one works for me.   So this got me thinking...I have a book in the store called My Princess Boy.  It is a book about acceptance.  We really get freaked out when boys play with dolls and girls play with guns...and if boys wear pink...  Why?  really it is the fear of the kids being different...but if we change things...will the kids actually grow up to be:  eek....homosexual?  eek eek... transgender?  eek eek eek...something more horrifying? (as if any of these are the end of the world...now--Lukemia...that one sucks....maybe that is what I should be worrying about...)


I don't think that is the case at all--this is a societal thing.... (not gender--but the freaking out when stereotypes are not matched).  For example....pink used to be a boy color (as a toned down red and red is a strong, mans color) and girls wore blue (because the Virgin Mary was seen in blue).  So "Storm"  the androgynous Canadian child may wear yellow until it decides on a color it likes....how refreshing will it be.... having the choice to try or like something without being told it is something wrong based on cultural norms?  won't that cause identity issues you say?  Really, I wouldn't think so...he/she may be teased you say?  really?  every child is teased...it sucks...it is part of growing up. I think giving a child a strong sense of self and the ability to be who they want--with no repercussions might just give an edge when those bullies come around....they won't worry as much about what other kids think of them....because they know how cool they are already...(trust me...it is SO much better if they get this now....)


So really what I am saying...is let them figure out who they are... with out telling them they are wrong for "trying out"  different things....and always, always, always remind kids why they are so awesome, what is so great about them and that they are worth something (even if they don't fit the the "parents" dreams)....

No comments:

Post a Comment